Eiffel

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Singing in the Rain

So I failed to take useful notes while watching the movie, again. It’s so hard for me since I’m enjoying these films so much that I feel incapable of noticing the cinematographic elements.

Last class period we watched Singing In The Rain, a 1952 musical based on the transition from silent films into films with sound, or "talkies, " as the characters in the movie referred to them. This was my first time to watch this movie, and I can't tell you why. I actually thought it would be boring, but I was completely wrong. The movie was so colorful and cheerful (especially compared to Sunset Blvd). My face literally hurt after watching that movie because I smiled the entire time.

I really enjoyed the humor in this movie. Lena cracked me up; her voice was slightly reminiscent of Karen’s from Will & Grace. Haha. Cosmo’s wit and Don’s charisma made the perfect duo for this movie. I also enjoyed the frustrating triangle between Lena, Don, and Kathy. I wonder if movie stars really do get disillusioned by tabloids that easily. My favorite scene in the movie, however, was the beginning when he was telling the reporter his story, only we were watching what actually happened. It was really neat and humorous to get that perspective.

I liked the insight that I got during discussion about how musicals are done today compared to Singing in the Rain. The famous street scene was filmed in only 5 shots. I actually prefer this to the series of shot changes we see in today’s musicals because scenes just seem to be more cohesive and flow.

I want to own this movie!

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry, I'll make you take notes this week. Might be easier since the film itself is more, um, distancing than the two we've watched so far. :)

    ReplyDelete