Eiffel

Monday, February 1, 2010

"Insert Sunset Blvd. Quote Here"

I enjoyed watching Sunset Boulevard so much last Thursday night! I had planned on taking notes during the movie, but after the first 15 minutes, I was completely captivated. However, I got so much out of our discussion at the end. To listen to 30 different perceptions led by Donna after one viewing, gave me the insight I would gain after about 30 viewings on my own.

After class, I started thinking about Film Noir in general. Overall, I enjoy darker movies so I think this is a genre that I need to venture into more. In our discussion about the elements of Film Noir, made me realize how intentional and deliberate every detail in every frame is. In this genre, the films are dark and end unhappily. If the film is done correctly then the audience is meant to feel uneasy, and even guilty. Then there is also the play on how a film noir film is made "correctly," because their unique trait is that they are so imperfect.

I'm having a little trouble with my short film project, but I'm about dedicate the next fews hours on it, so hopefully I can get it together!

1 comment:

  1. Why do you enjoy darker movies, do you think? The film noir genre is rich and varied -- have fun exploring it!

    ReplyDelete