Eiffel

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Blow-Out

On February 25th, we watched the movie Blow-Out. Unlike the two movies we had previously watched, Sunset Boulevard and Singin’ in the Rain, this movie had a much more vulgar and slower plot. In addition, this movie also had nudity, cursing, sex, murder—much more stimulating elements than we had been experiencing in other films. Like the other two films though, Blow-Out did look at aspects of the film industry. The unique quality about this film, though, was that it also had a strong, underlying theme about America.

Before the movie began, Donna warned us that Brian de Palma was a “puppet master” and we were his puppets. Usually movies that come with that kind discretion, do not actually follow through. But I had a rather weird experience watching this movie; while I was annoyed with its predictability (we all knew the girl would die at the end), I was also very tense throughout the movie. The plot, the action, everything moved too slowly for me. I have never discovered how much I disliked slow motion shots until I saw this movie. However, I do think it was because the plot also moved at that tempo. I even found myself annoyed at the long shots, even though I usually am very intrigued by them. Overall it was just too much slowness for me.

The movie had two main themes that we discussed at the end of class. We spoke heavily about the fake elements of the film industry and how that was basically reflective of de Palma’s reflection of the American way. Throughout the film, we get subtle insinuations and metaphors about how we try to cover up anything that is ugly, especially truths. For example, the female lead in the movie’s name is Sally and she’s a make-up artist with the philosophy that every one’s face could use some make-up.

Also, the scene when the woman gets ambushed by a killer in the streets and then taken behind a wall to be killed was also symbolic to this theme. Obviously, in real life, someone would have thought a man quickly shoving someone to the other side of the wall would be peculiar, but like in this movie, some people would ignore it. The final scene is an even stronger depiction of the same message de Palma wanted to deliver. A murder was occurring right above everyone’s heads but they were too enthralled by the music, lights, and fireworks to see it. We ignore the ugly truth and become oblivious to truth all together.

Donna also showed us a clip from a 1966 film, Blow-Up. Blow-Out was a remake of this movie, though I wouln’t have picked up on it had I not been told. After further discussion, I got a better understanding of re-makes in general. Filmmakers tend to replicate elements of cinematography from others, but two visions stemming from the same root will never be exactly the same, or the same at all.

I am glad that we watched this movie. I didn’t like it but I learned a lot about cinematography from it. I would not have ever watched this movie otherwise, so I am extremely thankful for this class!

No comments:

Post a Comment